Friday, April 15, 2011

Football

It was a long, hot,day in August and the first Auburn football practice; everyone was nervous. We just found out that we were having cuts from the team. Everyone was trying their hardest, but Coach P said 20 guys would have to be cut. As 8th graders we had to show the new players some of the drills. It was almost the end of practice and this first week was the fastest week of my life.
It was the third week of football when Coach said he needed me to play the defensive side of the line because he had no one else. I didn't know how to play that spot.  Not wanting to let my team down, I  still hesitated.  I was the smallest guy to play on the line. But my team-mate,  told me the key to playing on the line was to go hard and low.I had a fun time playing on the line this year and trying new because I knew it would help the team. Sadly, we didn’t have a winning season, but we learned a lot from our losses. That is how I had to cooperate with someone else.   By Dashawn

2 comments:

  1. You got my interest when you wrote that you had to play a position you had not played and that you would be the smallest player on the defensive line. So now I am wondering what happened when you played the position. Did your size matter? Did you compensate for it in some way? Do you have some advice for players playing out of position? Dashawn, I hope you will post more so I can read what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete