Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My Challenge

            I’ve lived in Manassas for most of my life. I’ve become best friends with many people, and when I found out that it was time to move I was both crushed and excited. I was born in Manassas, and loved the little house that we lived in. It wasn’t too big or too small and the backyard had a pool. It was perfect for a kid like me. I went to school when I was five and became friends with some of my classmates. As I got older and went up from kindergarten to fourth grade, we became like sisters. Then my dad broke the news. We were moving into a big house with my sister and her family. I was so excited that I was going to be moving with my sister’s family, but then I thought about moving away from my best friends. It was going to be hard to be away from them and not be able to see them for a while. The last day of fourth grade was the day I decided to tell them. It seems stupid now, but we cried and hugged each other for awhile, and then the bell rang for dismissal.
After summer was over, it was time for fifth grade. A new house, new family, and a new school. I couldn’t sleep the night before the first day. I was nervous  and didn’t know what they would think of me. “Ring, Ring, Ring,” my alarm clock rang at 7:15. It was time for fifth grade. When I was at the bus stop, it was only me and my niece. As we boarded the bus, all I heard were kids talking about what they did over the summer and how much they missed each other. If I hadn’t moved, I would be doing the same thing. When I got to school finding my classroom was the hard part. Once I got there, I felt that awkward feeling, like all eyes are on you. I took my seat and didn’t say a word until someone asked me my name. I stumbled on the first letter, then found the confidence to just spit it out. We learned every one's name. Turned out I was the only one they didn’t know. But as the days went by, I began to fit in more. I didn’t want to admit it to myself, but it turned out that I liked this new school, and it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.   By Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment