Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My Challenge

         I first went snowboarding when I was ten years old. From seeing all the pros do it on T.V.,I thought it would be easy. When i arrived there with my cousin K, and my Mom I threw on my clothes as fast as I could. K and I ran to the building where you get equipment. After we got our snowboards and learned how to put them on  we went out to the hills. We didn’t realize that they were so big. When we got out there I couldn’t see where the ski lift ended. “Good thing there’s a smaller slope,” I thought to myself.

         I thought I could just stay on the bunny slope the whole time but after ten minutes K said that we should go on the bigger hills. I was shocked by what came out of his mouth because we were both new to snowboarding. I thought he would be just as scared as I was. I told him I wanted to go down the bunny slopes a few more times before I went up. “OK, but hurry up,” he answered. After another ten minutes he asked again. I didn’t think I had a choice but to say yes.  It felt like the longest ride ever going up the ski lift. Going higher and higher, and I knew I would have to go down the hill. When they gave us instructions one of them was no turning back. Right at about the highest point the ski lift stopped in mid air, I was terrified. “Oh no!” I thought to myself. “It’s broken and there’s no way down!” But as soon as it stopped it started up again and we were almost there.

         When I got off, K went straight for the hill leaving me behind. I was frozen, literally, I couldn’t move. It might have had something to do with the freezing cold weather, but mostly me being terrified of going down the hill. I was about to go down when someone else ran into me sending me soaring down the hill. It was amazing, exhilarating even! It felt as if i was flying passing everyone. At one point I saw K with his head completely in the snow. When i got to the bottom it took another ten minutes for K to get down. It turns out that I'm an excellent snowboarder.  
By Jed

No comments:

Post a Comment